Glossary / M

Machine creping
Creping of paper on the paper machine using a large drying cylinder known as a Yankee Machine roll (See Jumbo roll).

Machine–glazed paper
Paper glazed and smooth on one side and rough on the other. Manufactured on a single cylinder machine or a combined machine, which presses the wire side oh the damp sheet against the sleeve of the glazing cylinder. During the surface of the paper is moulded by the smooth surface of the cylinder and becomes smooth and glazed, whilst the other side remains rough. Grammage range from about 30 to 120 gsm.

Machine stack
Used for first calendering (glazing) of paper on the paper machine.

Machine width
Width of the paper web in the paper machine.

Magazine paper
Periodical publication, with the Italian term being derived from the English term review, adopted in Britain for various newspaper from the eighteenth century. Early example of illustrated magazines include the French "Le Mercure de France", of 1829, and "L’illustration", of 1843; in Great Britain, "The Illustrated London News" (1842) and "The Economist" (1843). In Italy, besides "La Cività Cattolica" (1850), the most popular and successful magazines were "L’illustrazione italiana" (1873) e "La Domenica del Corriere" (1899). In the twentieth century illustrated magazines continued to spread throughout the world, providing coverage of all areas where there was reader interest, from pure entertainment to social and political news, trade magazines or magazines providing specialist coverage of the arts, fashion, business, science, sport and so on.

Technique through which a decorative effect similar to that of the surface of marble is achieved on paper. It involves a bath based on gum Arabic, small coloured elements and other ingredients that prevent the mixing of the colours. The sheet of paper is placed on the surface of the bath and absorbs the colours in an irregular pattern that creates designs similar to the veining of marble. A similar results can be obtained by means of special machines that mass produce marbled paper.

Market pulp
Pulp produced for sale on the market or for the producer’s units abroad rather than for own use.

Matt finish
A dull finish given to the surface of paper and board.

Mechanical paper
This paper contains mechanical pulp, thermomechanical pulp (TMP) or chemithermo–mechanical pulp (CTMP) and also chemical pulp. The shares of chemical and mechanical pulp vary depending on the application. Highly mechanical papers such as newsprint tend to yellow more rapidly if exposed to light and oxygen than woodfree papers so that they are mainly used for short–lived products. In printing papers the mechanical pulp improves opacity.

Mechanical pulp
Pulp consisting of fibres separated entirely by mechanical rather than chemical means.

Machine finished. Smooth paper calendered on the paper machine.

Machine glazed. Paper with a glossy finish on one side produced on the paper machine by a Yankee cylinder.

A way of improving the extensibility of paper by pressing a wet mesh against the paper web.

Mineral fillers
Materials such as chalk and china clay that are added to paper in order to change its density or improve its surface and optical properties.

Multi–layer web forming
Usually applied to a board machine on which several webs are combined into one.

Multi–stage cooking
Chemical pulping process in which the alkalinity of the cooking liquor is varied by charging the alkali in several stages.

MWC (Medium Weight Coated)
Medium weight coated paper for rotogravure and web offset printing. Grammage ranges between 70 and 150 gsm.