Less CO2 thanks to the new steam turbine in Ardennes

new steam turbine in Ardennes
21/10/2010

The new 170 GWh per year latest generation steam turbine has reached full efficiency. It was launched last June in the Belgian mill of Burgo Ardennes.
The turbine, which has increased energy production at the site by 35%, had as a result the reduction of fossil fuels consumption by 2,000 tonnes per year, that is to say about 6,000 tonnes less CO2 in the atmosphere.
82% of fuels used by the mill for self-produced energy (92%) are biomasses supplied by waste from the processing of wood, bark and lignin, whereas the remaining 8% is "green" energy (without using fossil fuels) from external sources.